Programs and Requirements
For the most complete and up-to-date information on our program requirements, please download the corresponding checklist for graduation:
- MA Literature Thesis
- MA Literature Portfolio
- MA Rhetoric and Composition Thesis
- MA Rhetoric and Composition Portfolio
- PhD Lit and Rhetoric and Composition
- Establishing Residency. All MA and PhD students who hold Teaching Assistantships must establish residency in the state of Washington and maintain such residency for the full duration of their TA appointments. To qualify as a resident student, state law requires that you establish a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington for a period of one year, for purposes other than educational, prior to the start of the semester or quarter for which you intend to register. For more information, please refer to the Graduate School or the Student Residency page found on the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) website. Failure to do so may mean that your tuition waiver will be suspended by the WSU Graduate School.
- Foreign Language Requirement. All candidates for graduate degrees in English are required to provide evidence of substantial preparation in language studies. Both the MA and PhD programs have specific foreign language requirements. See pages 39-43 of the Graduate Manual for more information.
- Annual Review. Every graduate student is required to submit an updated CV to the Director of Graduate Studies at the end of each Spring Semester (preferably no later than May 1). The purpose of this submission is to allow the DGS to assemble an annual report concerning graduate student progress and accomplishment.
- Responsible Research. As of Fall 2006, all graduate students are required to undergo training on the responsible conduct of research. This is a web-based training module; go to https://orso.wsu.edu/citi-training-resources/ for instructions. Students are encouraged to complete this training module as expeditiously as possible; they will not be eligible for a TA or RA until they have completed it. All Personnel Action Forms (PAFs) must include the date on which the training was completed. Training needs to be completed by August 15 for payroll purposes.
- Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Prevention. TAs and RAs are required to complete Sexual Harassment training within 6 months of their hire. An online training module is available.